Wednesday, April 6, 2011

#319: The Producers

Directed by: MEL BROOKS

1968, TSPDT Rank #485


CAUTION: This film is insanely hilarious and may at times cause you to laugh uncontrollably, with hazard to breathing. If you do not laugh or can't tolerate it, you have an unhealthy sense of humor and need to get it checked.


Believe me, this is coming from someone who's not really a fan of Mel Brooks in general (as a friend pointed out to me so helpfully as I told him of my love for this film). If you've read my review of Young Frankenstein, you'll see that my reaction to that film was lukewarm, as was my reaction to Blazing Saddles. But this is most definitely Brooks' masterpiece, with his humor in peak form, before sinking into the overly silly and uneven (although usually fairly entertaining) genre parodies that were the trademark of most of his career. But The Producers at least is pure comedy - one of the true milestones of the genre. And it goes by so much faster than it has any right to - especially for a comedy of this time period! Almost makes up for the shocking number of horrible, tepid, plodding comedic attempts made around this time period.

Simply, a delight.

(Rating: 10/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment