Tuesday, March 2, 2010

#191: The Big Lebowski

Directed by: JOEL & ETHAN COEN
1998, TSPDT Rank #404

"The Dude abides." So states the final line of this hilarious cult comedy - and it's a line that says both everything and nothing about the film. The Coens needed to blow off some steam after creating their masterpiece, Fargo, and ended up creating a movie that is great in its own right. It's a homage to a number of genres and styles past and present, rife with profanity - and all centered around a stoner known as The Dude. The plot revolves around a possible kidnapping case, but the Coens inject every type of bizarre and crazy thing imaginable into it, still allowing it to be cohesive, light, and really cool. John Goodman and Steve Buscemi are especially funny as The Dude's bowling buddies. I wouldn't miss this one.

EDIT (7/23/10):
This has become one of my favorite films, since I first wrote this review. I think it's hilarious and genius in pretty much every way, so I just felt I needed to give this movie a better notice than I originally did.

(Rating: 10/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment