Thursday, June 23, 2011

#343: Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles

Directed by: CHANTAL AKERMAN
1975, TSPDT Rank #157

Jeanne Dielman has to be one of the greatest films I've ever seen. Period. It's been a few weeks since I first watched it. I watched it basically in one sitting, and when it was over I felt mystified and stunned. Weeks later I still feel that way. This is a film that will get under your skin and into your mind. It's pretty long, yet very minimalist. You can't watch this film unless you're in the right mood for it, and for most people, it will be either hard or impossible to get into that mood. It takes patience, concentration, and deep thought to enjoy the movie. I don't even want to say much about it so that I don't ruin it for others. Suffice it to say this: you see an isolated housewife (and part-time prostitute) perform her daily chores for three days, in exacting detail. That's basically the plot. If you can handle that, and handle the length, then watch it, and read between the lines. I did. It blew me away. Difficult, but a sure masterpiece.

(Rating: 10/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment