Saturday, February 12, 2011

#306: Kind Hearts and Coronets

Directed by: ROBERT HAMER
1949, TSPDT Rank #225

This film is known as one of the pinnacles of British black comedy. In other words, it totally sounded like a movie I'd love. Actually though, I didn't think it was all that great - definitely watchable, pretty entertaining, and with some parts that were pretty humorous, but it still didn't live up to my expectations. Alec Guinness plays eight roles in the movie, which are basically the funniest part (his parson being the greatest, and apparently the one he liked playing the most). But what bothered me is how much the movie relied on Dennis Price's constant narration to deliver most of the dark humor. Some of the quips are funny, but a lot of the time I felt the narration was supposed to make up for the humor that wasn't on the screen. But don't take my word for it, if this still sounds like something you might like, I'd encourage you to give it a try and see what you think. At the least, you'll probably get some morbid chuckles and enjoyment out of it, if you go for that sort of thing that is.

(Rating: 6/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment