Thursday, April 1, 2010

#200: L.A. Confidential

Directed by: CURTIS HANSON
1997, TSPDT Rank #471

I don't really have much to say about L.A. Confidential, but I will say that I don't feel it belongs in the 1,000 Greatest Films - and certainly not at such a high rank. The acting was quite good, especially from Kim Basinger and Danny DeVito, but after watching the film I felt very dissatisfied. The director seems to be trying to imitate the seedy atmosphere of post-noir films like Chinatown - even down to the score. However, the look of the film is completely wrong for the time period and type of film, and the plot and characters all seemed very contrived. I would suggest that you skip this movie and watch Chinatown - or one of the old noir films. I could peg L.A. Confidential as a decent homage if there was anything that truly made it feel as such.

(Rating: 5/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment